Dataset population: Persons aged 16 and over
Age is derived from the date of birth question and is a person's age at their last birthday, at 27 March 2011. Dates of birth that imply an age over 115 are treated as invalid and the person's age is imputed. Infants less than one year old are classified as 0 years of age.
Marital and civil partnership status
Marital and civil partnership status classifies an individual according to their legal marital or registered same-sex civil partnership status as at census day, 27 March 2011.
This topic is the equivalent of the 2001 Census topic 'Marital status', but has undergone significant revision to take account of the Civil Partnership Act which came into force on 5 December 2005.
Marital and civil partnership states include:
- Married/in a registered same-sex civil partnership
- Separated (but still legally married/in a registered same-sex civil partnership)
- Divorced/formerly in a registered same-sex civil partnership
- Widowed/surviving same-sex civil partner
Although the term 'single' is widely used to cover people in a number of states such as divorced or separated, it is not a legally recognised status and was not an option on the census questionnaire. In census results the term 'single' is used to refer only to someone who has never been married or in a registered same-sex civil partnership, which were options on the census questionnaire.
Data and Resources
- Local Authority and abovecsv
- Wards and Electoral Divisionscsv
- Middle Super Output Areascsv
Great Britain coverage
- Lower Super Output Areas and Datazonescsv
- Output Areas and Small Areascsv
- Merged Local Authoritiescsv
- Merged Wards and Electoral Divisionscsv
England and Wales coverage
- Bulk data (all geographies)zip
Codes as headers, descriptions in separate file.
UK coverage where...
|Modified Date|| |
|Release Date|| |
|Geographical Coverage Location|| |
UK Open Government Licence (OGL)
Country level down to Output Areas and Small Areas
|Public Access Level|| |